Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Sick in Pakse

Well it had to happen sometime and it is good that it happened here. Pakse is an unlovely place, it is a very large southern Lao city with not much to offer the tourist except that it is a transport hub for the backpacker trail from the 4,000 islands, Champasak, the Boleven Plateau and Tad Lo. It also has an international airport which allows easy access to Siem Reap in Cambodia or the capital of Laos at Vientianne.

It also has the best indian resteraunt this side of Kuala Lumpur. The Jasmine Resteraunt offers a delicious array of curries. In the mornings they make a seriously delicious Masala Dohsa. It is perfectly authentic and a taste sensation! Unfortunately this morning I had to forego the pleasure. For reasons beyond me my stomach decided that anything trying to make a home there was to be thrown out immediately. I awoke I ran to the toilet, I threw up. This went on several times, far to many for my liking. In between these assaults I lay in bed and groaned and tried to sleep. Fearing that I would get dehydrated I consumed all the bottled water to hand. This would make it back out within about 20 minutes.  I lay in bed until at least 11:30. At that time I dragged myself up, had a  shower, threw up some more and went downstairs to enquire about a mechanic. A very kind young man directed me to a little man who was prepared to do the job. He did it very quickly and efficiently. I managed to dissuade him from removing the carburettor and he gave me some good advice about the chain. He completed the job and then took some photos. There was something significant about the bike being a Vietnamese version of the Win. This was all a mystery in my sickened state. The whole thing cost 44,000 Kip (about $6). I went to the local supermarket looking for electrolytes or at least gatorade. I found a local  version and a map of Laos. There was a little entertainment for the check out chick as I made a bolt for the door to projectile vomit into the street. Back to the hotel  I laid around all afternoon until about 6:30 when I began to feel human again. I went out in search of food. So here I am I have just finished some salt and pepper squid and I rekon it will stay where it was put.... for now. If only I can hail a waiter I can get another juice.

Tomorrow I head to the 4,000 Islands. It seems whenever I go there I have been crook. I am looking forward to recouperating in style. Catch youse later campers.

No comments:

Post a Comment