Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Bikeless

I said goodbye to my trusty bike today. The Cambodian side of the border would not let a bike registered in Vietnam to cross from Laos into Cambodia. To solve this I would have had to go back into Vietnam and then  go south so I could cross directly into Cambodia. It would have added 5 days to the trip and there was no guarantee that I would be able to bring it across all those borders easily. So I have opted to fly to Siem Reap from Pakse. I have not left it for good, friends on Don Det will care for it while I'm away. When I come back it will be there waiting for me to saddle up once more. I really enjoyed that bike it gave excellent service, never complaining or being so gauche as to break down not even a flat! I shall miss little Billy. Until we meet again old friend.

How to explain Don Det? You'd have to say the place is definitely unique. It runs at a pace all it's own. VERY relaxed with the emphasis on very! I love it to bits. It suits me down to the ground. Each morning I would wake with the sun and spend some serious hammock time book reading. Then I would wonder over to the resteraunt for coffee and breakfast. I don't know how they do it but every cup has the consistency of smooth carpet. You could literally almost cut it with a knife. It is very strong being able to put hairs on the hairs on your chest. Breakfast was usually one of the variety of omlettes they offer accompanied by the ubiquitious bagette. Having finsihed breakfast I would lie around reading or help the bloke who runs the guethouse/resteraunt Mike. He is rebuilding the huts in Timber. It is a lot of work so I was happy to lend a hand. Rental costs had come down I was only paying 20,000kip a night. That is less than $3:00! I was happy to put in a little labour to help out. Lunch was a friut shake and fresh spring rolls. Five pockets of heaven with a dipping sauce to die for. After a little siesta I would use the afternoon to explore. One arvo I rode round Don Det, another around Don Khone. Each arvo I would make it up to the new store in Mordor/Manhattan/Babylon, (depending on your bent) called"Mr Bean" for coffee ( the best from the Boleven) and cakes as made by my mate Minnie. This was consumed to some of the best blues and roots music I have heard. The cakes were delicious ranging from the sublime to the ridiculously tastey. The evenings were either spent on my varandah meditating on the Graham Greeness of the place or down at the King Kong bar consuming Beer Lao and other comestibles while meditating on the Graham Greeness of the place. I would not be suprised to bump into the reincarnation of Somerset Maugham. The onset of evening there was priceless with the light changing colour and bathing the vegitation across the river with this gorgeous pickish hue that sang of the evening and the tropics and paradise which is where I was.

I will miss Don Det very much. I've met some really lovely people; Mike, Tip (Buontip), Minnie, Pale, Dave, Ken, Tip's daughter Joy, the lad whose name I never got but I spent three great days working with him and Mike etc etc. I have promised to return so I must. Later campers....

No comments:

Post a Comment