Tuesday, November 4, 2014

The kick off

Well folks the time is now. It's sparrow fart on what appears to be an ordinary Thursady morning. I have packed my bag and the road awaits.

Last night I went to dinner with Lan, Le and Thanh. It was fabulous. We chatted and ate like family. It was so good to spend time with such dear friends. I have known them all a long t ime now and it is fantastic to see how they have changed over the years. It is something that just seems right , Le content in motherhood and family living, Thanh managing his own very lucrative business and Lan being her strong independant self  cutting her own path resolutely. After the meal Thanh and Le went home to thier respective families and Lan and I went to the Irish Wolfhound for a nitecap. It turned out to be a bit like Whian Whian table tennis without the pong if you know what I mean. There were a whole gaggle of Expats drinking and doing what expats do. I spent the most amazing 3 hours talking to an Aussie about my age who had edited the Moree paper in 2000. He is now working on a hanoi paper. There was a brit who manages a factory here and an American ex navy seal who doesn't do anything at all but gets by. The whole evening was an exercise in hedonism. Wonderfully anarchic. I had a great time needless to say. It was a bit like that time Tony Chris and I sat on the street when we were in Hanoi. It put a whole new perspective on the Irish Wolfhound. At times we had to compete with ACADACA blasting out thier tunes.... Dirty deeds done dirt cheap.

So today I head off. I hope to get to Cuc phong tonight. We'll see how that goes. StY tuned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment