Saturday, November 15, 2014

Coffee at the Cargo Club

I've made it to my favorite coffee cafe in all of Vietnam. The Cargo Club in Hoian. The Cafe is owned Mrs Vi. She owns this and the Morning Glory Resteraunt across the street. I did my cooking classes  with Mrs Vi two trips ago. The Cargo Club could rival any French patisserie anywhere. I am currently tucking into a milk coffee and a coconut, lychee and strawberry tart. Very light, guaranteed to give heart attacks but who cares it is heaven.

At the moment it is a  very exhausted heaven. I arrived here after a marathon non stop ride from Hue. Why non stop? It pissed with rain the whole way. I rode along the coast just like last time with Tony S. And Deano. The run up the Hi Van Pass was easy the little motor purring away in 3rd gear almost all the way. Riding through Da Nang by onself with no guide is very confusing. I got lost 3 times in town and at least twice on the way to Hoian. You'd think that after 4 times I would have some idea but no. Having my sense of direction play up so badly is beyond frustration. I just don't understand it.

Despite the rain the run along the coast was fun. Windy little lanes snaking through fishing villages resplendent with odour as only they can be. There is plenty of colour, plenty of movement and a plethora of vehicles, motorbikes and gaggles of school girls on pushbikes. Because I got lost so many times the run from Da Nang was not nearly as much fun. I pulled up about halfway in a town I have never seen before. No one spoke a word of English so with my trusty phrase book I managed to ascertain that the direction to Hoian was actually the one I had just come in on! Because I am detoxing I am suffering mood swings. This time it was short of rage but only just. I managed to hold it in and not embarrass myself and loose face but it was oh so hard. There were quite a few "fuck its ! !" Said under my breath. Concentrate Lionel, chill lad. The coffee here is working wonderfully. I emailed Mark from Hoian Motorcycle Adventures. He tells me Deano is in Brisbane for the winter. He said I could use thier workshop to do the service so that is good. Little Billy (the bike) is a bit sorry for itself at the moment. One rubber footpeg has fallen off and the left hand front indicator is dangling down. The speedo gave up 6 days ago on the run from Phoung Nga to Khe Sanh. None of this is  a problem merely cosmetic but I'm beginning to get attached to the little machine, hence the name. It is a very courageous bike happy to attempt any foray against the trucks and buses on the road. It starts first time every time and has not missed a beat on the road. Loyalty seems to be the watch word. One cannot or maybe should not love an inanimate object but I'm very fond of it and will miss it when I leave. I hope I will be able to send it up two Le in Hanoi when I leave as planned.

Well I've finished my coffee it is time to wonder the streets, to ponder on dinner and to sample some of the fresh beer here. I will post again when I have more news. I plan to get some M/C boots here, maybe some more clothes, we'll see. See youse later campers.

No comments:

Post a Comment