Saturday, January 3, 2015

The Writer is reprogrammed

For the past day I have been in a funk. The world seemed to have conspired against me and nothing was working. I seemed not to understand what was being said to me and people did not understand me. It was extremely frustrating. This all changed this morning with a little good will and a lot of perserverence. I had the probelm of generating a couple of printed documents from my Tablet. To be more precise from my emails. I got access to a computer but could not remember my password. Getting my password was a nightmare that did not finish. The whole thing was finally solved (after about an hour of mucking about to no avail) by this lovelly young lady who 24 hours before gave up trying to communicate because we kept confusing each other. She gave me her email address, I sent her the relevant emails and she printed out my boarding passes and E tickets I had to have to begin the long journey home.

Of course the problem is mine. I am to blame for my own trauma. I need to learn the language! I am also suffering from the ailment which best can be described as "end of travelling blues". In one more day I begin the long trek home. I am happy to be going home in one way.... geting on with my life, registering the car and bike, getting on with the building project, getting Milo back etc etc. I am very sad in another way to be finishing my travels. I have had such an amazing time. The things I have seen and the places I have been have left a deep imprint on my memory. I think I will be dreaming about that trip through the Cardomoms for the rest of my life. Funny, I thought I would never do it again, the afternoon we emerged battered and bruised from the forests. Now I am contemplating what I would need to make the trip easier and more interesting. Battambong was such a revelation and one doesn't need to go over Kep and Kampot to remember the "relax". If I go on to Vietnam memories I will be on this thing till I get home! There is a lot of Cambodia and Vietnam I have still yet to see.

At this stage I can say that  Cambodia has the worst drivers and roads of Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia. All three are as beautiful and interesting as each other. I find the Vietnamese most interested in making sure you are happy and have what you need. The Vietnamese border guards are the strictest and have no sense of humour followed by the Cambodians. The Laotians don't really care but you need clean and fresh US dollars for the border. I can't rate one better than the other, they are all too fantastic and fabulous to destinguish.

All I can say is a big thank you to the world and all the people I have interacted with here it has been the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment